Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Holiday Happenings


Happy Holiday all! Thought I’d blog a little about the season. We have been enjoying having the kids home and doing the food and fun thing. I have, unfortunately, been still trying to shake some side effects.

For our family, we renewed our tradition from before our move to Virginia. On Christmas Eve, we went to St Peters for the early Christmas Mass. St. Peters in Morristown is a very large stone building built in the 1880s. It has a large classic interior similar to a cathedral – all stone, about three stories on the inside with large stain glass windows, candelabras and a large iron gate at the alter. It’s a beautiful place for holiday services and they did a very nice one (as usual). Afterwards, we got take out Chinese and met some friends at our house for a nice dinner and some good conversation.

On Christmas, we all opened stockings and gifts. My sister-in-law had a holiday party at her place in Riverdale which, unfortunately I couldn’t attend. My fatigue factor was pretty high and I stayed home and slept most of the day away. But Rob, the kids and my mother went and it sounded like a good time. I feel bad for not going (they even had a birthday cake for me) but I wouldn’t have lasted even an hour or two. They send home the cake, though, and it was excellent!

On my birthday, the 26th, I got some tickets to take my son to the Nets game. Feeling better than I did on Christmas day, I also snuck in a hike in the woods of about 2 miles. The snow in the forest was very pretty and it was great to get a little exercise. I had a growing issue with stomach cramps for about three days so I called the nurse at MSK to ask what to do. She told me I needed to go to the emergency room to see a doctor and get scanned. Evidently, one of my meds can sometimes cause some serious problems. I knew that if I did that, it would be a long visit and I would likely miss the Nets game. So, I decided to suck it up for a few hours and go to the game with David first and then go the hospital when I got home.

The cramps were pretty strong and came every 15 to 20 minutes. So, when I got back from the game, Rob brought me in. I got there about 11:30 and got the CT scan at about 3 am. Around 5, we determined that I didn’t have any of the serious issues, like a bowel perforation, so I asked the doctor to check me out. He seemed a bit reluctant but gave me a prescription for Percocet to help with the pain and I got out of there about 6 am. Still not entirely sure what the cause of the cramps is – it might be colitis, it could also be something simple like a touch of a stomach virus – but the cramps have eased up quite a bit. Maybe it’s the Percocet. I’ll review the scan and the event with my Oncologist when I go in for my next chemo treatment on Tuesday.

So that was our holiday. Some good tradition, some family gathering and a nice night at the game with my son. And as for my visit to the ER, it didn’t really interfere with the holiday spirit and, thankfully, the issue (whatever it is) isn’t serious. I hope you all had a great time over the holiday as well! BB

No comments: